Today I made two more picture frames. One for the Denali Hwy of Tangle Lake photo, and the other for my white Tlingit board. They are both assembled, but I’m thinking of just putting poly on them and not sanding. I think do that it will be pretty cool looking. Before starting on the frames, I went into the woods a bit and got some wood to burn. Firing that old wood furnace up does help warm the shop up, at least to the point I can work in there without freezing.
So I put the Tlingit Board in the frame and I’m not sure if I’m going to do anything more to the frame, as in putting poly on it.
Yesterday knowing it would be the last day above freezing for a while, I decided to give my picture frame one more coat of poly. This morning I went out and grabbed it and brought it in the house to finish drying. The third coat really did the trick on the wood. It was still tacky when I brought it in the house, but within just an hour or so it was dry enough to put the photo in, so I did. I’m really happy with the way the frame turned out, just wish the photo posted here would show better.
Again I thought of heading out for a drive, but it’s just gloomy and crappy out, so I headed to the shop.
I gave the picture frame a light sanding and another coat of poly, and I that should do it. After cleaning up the paint brush I headed back out to the shop to just piddle around, and while I was out there I thought, fuck it, I going to try and fire up the old wood furnace. It took awhile to figure out how the damn thing worked and what the 2 blowers did. There is an electrical box on the side of the furnace that controls the 2 blowers, one is a small blower that controls the burn rate and the large blower can be set to kick on at a certain temp, then that blows the warm air out a huge pipe at the top. It works pretty well, I just need some wood to burn, then I can have a warm shop.
The first photo is of the picture frame, though it doesn’t really show how nice it really looks. I’m sure it will after I put the photo in it. (the white within the frame is some poly that will dry clear.)
The second photo is the furnace.
I was itching to get working on barn wood stuff, so instead of waiting for a new orbital sander, I hand sanded. It’s quite a bit of work to sand down some pretty rough barn wood, but I wanted to see how it could look. At the last minute I decided to put tung oil on before the polycrylic, and I think it looks pretty damn good. Once I get a new sander I’ll be able to get the boards down smoother to show more of the great colors of this old wood.