Not knowing what to do this weekend, I’ve decided to change the oil in the Subie today. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while now, so why not today.
It’s labor day weekend with this afternoon through Monday off. I have no plans, not even anyone to talk to. I have a few things to do around the house, but other than that, nothing.
Hmm, I was going to write a post, but I quickly last all ughts. Oh well.
Eli got sprayed by a skunk this morning. He has gotten it worse before, but it’s still bad. My windows were open, so now the whole damn house smells of skunk.
He is outside drying off after a long bathing with the hose and dawn dish soap, he didn’t like that.
Headed out this morning with Eli to hit some more of the Forest Service Roads in Southern Baraga and Southern Houghton counties. The roads south of me seem to be never ending, there many many roads to explore, and most of them are in really good shape. Many of the woods through this area have some nice large old growth trees, making the drive real enjoyable, just driving through the woods. Along with coming across river, lakes and such, this time I found a couple tidbits of history. One such bit of history is that there were 5 WWII POW camps in the UP, this I did not know. I came across one of the POW camps today, Camp Pori.
“POW Camp Pori – 215 POWs; 2 Officers; 39 Enlisted Men
An unusual activity here was the establishment of a Zoo. The POWs captured mice, squirrels, snakes and other small animals. It was not their only activity. The 16 piece orchestra was often heard. The education at this camp was strong. Classes in English, German, French, math, shorthand and music history were offered allowing the men to increase their work skills. To this end, workshops were offered for machine construction, technical drawing, electrical skills, and agriculture development.”
The rivers and swamps I came across all have a very low water level, some of the swamps are dried up.
Anyway, was good to get out again, as I’ve been staying at home too much lately.
Today I replaced the front sway bar end links on the Subie. What a bitch that job was! The end links that were on the Subie I think were the original factory installed ones. This would normally be a fairly easy job, but not these. Once the bolt is loosened, the whole unit starts to turn, this is normal, but the factory ones have a cheesedick setup. What is suppose to happen with the factory one, is you insert an allen key in the end to stop the bolt from turning while you take the nut off. What bullshit that is! These were rusty enough that the allen key stripped out the hole for it. What to do? Damn! Well, I tore off the rubber boot that is around the ball and socket so I could fit some vise grips in there and tighten it down so it wouldn’t turn while taking off the nut. That was still a bitch! Not really sure why, but near the end of the bolt, the nut was super super tight, so it took some real oomph to get the fucker to turn. After spending a few hours getting the two side off, the new after-market ones when right on. The new ones have a spot on the back side to put a wrench on and keep it from spinning. Much better! After that, I cleaned everything up, took a short break and grabbed Eli for a test drive up Menge Creek Rd. No more clunking. Yay!
On the drive, we just went up a ways and turned around, but on the way back I took a trail that headed into the hills. Now Menge Creek Rd goes through a really hilly area, so I took this trail hoping to see a view. Man, there is a really nice view up there, though of course I forgot my camera, but I’m looking forward to getting some autumn photos from up there.
Anyway, I guess that’s it for now, I’m pooped.
It’s that time of year, time to start using my PTO (Personal Time Off) before the end of the year. I’m taking this Friday and the coming Monday off. I have new sway bar end links for the Subie coming Friday and hope to get them install Friday afternoon. Other than that, not much planned.
So… Any time it rains I get rain coming in my front windows, many due to the eaves not sticking out far enough and they are quite low, so any wind help blow it in. I’ve looked online for simple samples of awnings made of wood, I’ve found a few. Today I made one, a large one. The awning is 72 inches wide to cover the width of the windows, plus a little, and 30 inches deep, though that’s on a 18° angle, so it doesn’t stick out quite that much. I have it all assembled, though all but the end boards are not connected yet, and ready to be put up. Right now it’s too damn hot out, 86°F, to do much else, so mounting it will have to wait until tomorrow.
I’m hoping it looks okay on the logs of the house.
The first image is one of the samples I found. The other images are of the almost finished awning.